Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Vegetarian Times Cooks Mediterranean.
- 6 cups water
- 2 (17 ounce) cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the parsley.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve the soup garnished with the parsley.
I made this soup for dinner tonight. I used 6 cups of Maggi vegetable broth with onions instead of water and that really was a good idea, I think. I used 1 can of chickpeas(425gms). It is a good idea to boil the canned chickpeas a bit, to remove, the horrible taste that comes if this is not otherwise done. So, I suggest boiling the chickpeas before anything else, or this one omission, can make the whole soup a disaster(I unfortunately forgot to boil the chickpeas and my soup wasn't as good as I could've made it). I omitted the olive oil - there was nothing to fry here, no seasoning,etc, so I didnt feel it was necessary to have any oil in this recipe, and, I also dislike seeing the oil float on top of a completed soup, I wouldn't touch it, so, I left the oil out. I don't have dried sage, so, I used dried basil as a substitute. I omitted the salt since the broth already contains enough salt in it. I used the rest of the ingredients and did as said in the recipe. The soup was fine...but, as I said, it could be better.