Some folks think this tastes a bit like tuna salad. :) Give it a try... it's even better after it's sat overnight in the fridge, so you might make it the night before you want it for lunch and let it sit for a few hours before making your sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans or 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Best Foods, Hellmann's, or Vegenaise)
- 1 -2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard or 1 -2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dill relish or 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, whatever your preference
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 green onion, chopped (white and green parts both)
- salt and pepper
- 1Drain the garbanzo beans and rinse them under running water in a colander; let drain. In a flat-bottomed dish or pan and using a potato masher, mash them to whatever consistency you prefer (using a food processor or blender makes the texture more fine and similar to hummus, but you can try it that way if you like). I like mine kind of chunky.
- 2In a bowl, combine the garbanzo beans with remaining ingredients and mix well. Spread on your favorite bread or in pita pockets and enjoy! (Or you can just eat it out of the bowl with a spoon.).
- 3Note from Julie: I prefer dill relish over sweet, any day. ;) Other possible additions include chopped celery and/or cucumber, paprika, a couple drops of balsamic vinegar, and perhaps a little cumin (although that will make it more hummus-like).
- 4Source: adapted from The Peaceful Palate, by Jennifer Raymond.
- 5Note: more info about Vegenaise at http://www.followyourheart.com. Much lower in fat than regular mayo and no dairy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Sandwich Salad
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.0
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 1021.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 13.8 g