From Bon Appetit, April 2011. Can easily be tweaked to suit your taste. For a spicy version, add cilantro and red onion or shallots. For curried version, add some curry powder. Very light and refreshing and makes an excellent side dish.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup packed freshly grated parmesan cheese
- coarse kosher salt
- Combine rinsed and drained chickpeas, chopped basil, chopped Italian parsley, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic in medium bowl. Add Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly. Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. DO AHEAD Chickpea salad can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Serve salad chilled or at room temperature.