This is a very healthy, herb based salad. Has a nice strong cilantro taste, making it slightly spicey, but still refreshing.
- 2.5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced red onions
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red jalapeno chile, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped minced herbs (thyme, mint, tarragon, parsley or cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons crushed cumin seeds
- Drain and rinse canned chickpeas.
- Toss beans in a bowl with the onions.
- For the Vinaigrette: whisk olive oil with garlic, jalapeno, herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Let stand for 30 minutes longer.
- Add cilantro leaves as garnish. Serve at room temperature.
- Preparation time does not include "standing" time.