Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
No such thing as too many chickpea salads! This was an especially good version I thought, altered a bit with my own and my BF's taste in mind. Extremely easy and no cooking involved, particularly good for lunch at the office or a weekend picnic since it's best at room temperature. If you'd like to make this for a no-cook summer dinner, it's a main meal for two (with a side of green vegetables) or a side dish for four. A Sara Foster recipe from the 4/2007 version of Cottage Living.
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained or 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, drained and chopped (from a jar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- Stir together first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until well blended.
- Toss chickpeas and next 4 ingredients in large bowl, and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Add sea salt and pepper. Add feta cheese and toss gently. Serve immediately at room temperature or chill until ready to serve.
Definitely intense flavors. I love all the ingredients in this dish, so it is of no surprise that it was enjoyed. The only changes I made were to decrease cumin to 1 tsp, decreased the oil to 1 tsp (and didn't miss it), used a couple pinches of dried thyme instead of fresh (it's raining and I was too lazy to run out and pick me some LOL) and I omitted the salt (didn't miss it). I did add a pinch of sugar, as per another reviewers recommendation which was perfect. I felt the lemon and cumin (even though I only added 1 tsp) overpowered the dish a bit. I would consider making it again and decrease both those ingredients to sheer bliss! THanks for posting.
Very flavourful! I only used the juice of 1/2 lemon and didn't miss more; I also omitted the salt as I felt the feta cheese would provide enough saltiness (it did!). Really good: I think you could easily use more chickpeas and tomatoes with the same amount of vinaigrette, and still have an incredibly flavourful salad. Oh nom! Thank you for sharing!
Delicious and refreshing! This is even better the next day. Thanks so much!