Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
After becoming a vegetarian, I missed certain sandwiches that I used to make on a regular basis. In an effort to substitute, I came up with this faux chicken salad-esque spread that is delicious on whole grain bread or in a pita pocket! It is an easy go-to because I usually have everything in my pantry. Substitute any ingredients that you might use in your chicken or tuna salad!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and slightly mashed
- 2 small celery ribs, with their leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped water chestnut
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (or vegannaise)
- 1 teaspoon dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients, and serve on whole grain bread or in pita pockets with lettuce and tomato.
- Better when made ahead and chilled.
This was really tasty! I did not have the relish (hate pickles) or water chestnuts on hand, but I don't think that hurt the results. I used homemade vegan mayonnaise and homemade ranch dressing mix. Every regular store-bought ranch mix I've ever seen contained dried buttermilk, so people who want to make this recipe vegan will need to find an alternative. For that I used recipe #28324, Ranch Dip and Dressing Mix here: http://www.food.com/recipe/ranch-dip-and-dressing-mix-28324
Unbelievably delicious! Thank you!
Good recipe! Made it exactly as described. It has a nice flavor.