Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A fast preparation for lunches to bring to work, or summer picnics and pot-lucks! Variation: For a fun and fruity twist, add a thin layer of gelatin-free cranberry sauce, orange marmalade, or stem ginger spread.
- 8 slices of your favourite bread (Whole Wheat, Rice, Spelt, Kamut, etc.)
- 2 cups chickpeas, Drained and Rinsed (Garbanzo Beans)
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (such as Nayonaise, Veganaise or other mayonnaise substitute)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard (or any favourite you may have) or 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard (or any favourite you may have)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large dill pickle, finely chopped (or two smaller dill pickles)
- 2 green onions, White parts only, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper (or to Taste)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, rinsed and dried
- Combined Chickpeas, Nayonaise, Mustard, Celery, Pickles and Onions in a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix with a carefully with a spatula.
- Using a potato masher, mash mixture to desired consistency.
- Spread a thin layer on to one slice of bread, add as much spinach as desired, spread more chickpea salad to the other slice of bread and add salt and pepper to taste.
what a super idea / recipe! i am on a very tight budget and my time to make myself healthy food that is satisfying is even tighter. i can have this sandwhich made in under ten minutes and eaten before my 2 yr old daughter wakes from her nap!!! although i respect vegans, i am not one so i made some subs. used all organic ingredients; i used regular mayo and added a dash of lemon juice. sea salt; black pepper and left out the pickles. threw on a slice of tomatoe and it was delicious! this sandwhich has so many variations you could do to it also; i could see adding a slice of bacon (or fake bacon for vegans), maybe some roasted peppers rather than the relish, or even making it open faced then putting a bit of your favorite cheese on top and then sticking it under the broiler. thanks so much for sharing this recipe. i finally can eat lunch quickly, healthily, and feel satisfied!
I enjoyed this sandwich very much. I used sprouted chickpeas and scaled the recipe back for one sandwich, using 12 grain bread. Thanks!
This is really easy and REALLY good! I can also be adapted to what I have on hand and what I like. Thanks!