Recipe by evelyn/athens
Get your grains and beans along with veggies and even some yoghurt. This is a sandwich that is not only good, but good for you.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I made this for lunch for my friend and I yesterday and it was SO good. My pitas were not whole wheat, but other than that, that was the only modification I made. Next time, I will make more yogurt because it was so tasty that we wanted to use it generously. I used a few dashes of hot pepper sauce versus a single dash. Not only was it extremely tasty, it was very easy to make. My friend asked for the recipe. This is going into my keeper file. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT9.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1⁄2 thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1⁄2 medium thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt or 1⁄2 cup regular yoghurt, drained in cheesecloth till thick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 4 whole wheat pita bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chickpeas, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil and half of garlic in large bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine salad greens, cucumber and onions.
- Whisk yoghurt, cumin, dash of Tabasco and remaining garlic in small bowl.
- Add salad greens to bowl with the chickpeas and toss to combine.
- Season to taste.
- Cut 1 end off each pita bread and open to form a pocket.
- Using tongs, divide salad mixture among pitas.
- Drizzle some yoghurt dressing over salad in each pita and serve immediately cause these go soggy fast.