Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this salad, the ingredients and the flavors are great. It is a fresh yet flavorful salad that can be used as a side dish or main dish lunch as I usually make it. I found this recipe in The Arab Table by: May Bsisu http://www.amazon.com/Arab-Table-Recipes-Culinary-Traditions/dp/0060586141 a few years back and have been making it ever since.
- 32 ounces cooked chickpeas
- 1⁄2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped-for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped-for garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, for garnish
- feta cheese, opt*
- Drain and rinse chickpeas(if using canned) and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the onions and jalapeno.
- Whisk together the garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and onions and stir gently to coat the salad.
- Spoon out into a serving dish and garnish with tomato, parsley, cayenne and feta cheese.
This always gets requested by my friends at cookouts. I replace the onion with chopped cucumber and serve with toasted pita and lettuce leaves for utensil free snacking.
Wonderful salad! I omitted the salt (personal preference) and used all the garnishes, including the feta. We loved the spiciness of the jalapenos and and cayenne. Thanks for sharing! ZWT6
Almost 4 1/2 stars. I used shallot for the onion and omitted the jalapeÃ±o as we don't like really spicy. I used less cayenne out of preference and organic grape tomatoes. We found this quite garlic/oniony. Made for NA*ME Tag.