Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Chickpeas lend a Mediterranean flair to this satisfying side salad or main dish.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (chickpeas)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (can sub halved grape tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 large cucumber, peeled, quartered and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (5 -8 ounce) package mixed salad greens (optional)
- feta cheese (optional)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- In a very large bowl, combine garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, cilantro and onion; set aside.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar, combine oil, vinegar, salt, garlic and sugar. Cover and shake well. Season to taste with additional sugar, if desired. Pour dressing over vegetable mixture, tossing to coat. Sprinkle over the top the feta cheese, if desired. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve alone or toss with mixed greens as a light entree. If desired, serve lemon wedges to squeeze over salad. Makes 8 to 10 side-dish servings.