Delicious! The quinoa really absorbs all the spices in this recipe and the chickpeas are a welcome addition. Feel free to use different beans if you want! This recipe came from Veganomicon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (about one cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed (spice grinder or mortar and pestle)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed well)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or reconstituted bullion)
- In a small stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions in olive oil for about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and salt; saute for another minute.
- Add the quinoa and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to very low, cover, and cook for about 18 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water; stir occasionally.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.