1/1 Photo of Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf (Vegan)
PDX Meems's Note:
Delicious! The quinoa really absorbs all the spices in this recipe and the chickpeas are a welcome addition. Feel free to use different beans if you want! This recipe came from Veganomicon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (about one cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed (spice grinder or mortar and pestle)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed well)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or reconstituted bullion)
- 1In a small stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions in olive oil for about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- 2Add the tomato paste, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and salt; saute for another minute.
- 3Add the quinoa and saute for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the chickpeas and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to very low, cover, and cook for about 18 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water; stir occasionally.
- 5Fluff with a fork and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.8
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 644.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: