1/1 Photo of Chickpea Poppers
Found this in our local newspaper, the Orlando Sentinel July 25, 2012 - they ran a special section on Vegan Indian cooking. In "Vegan Indian Cooking" by Anupy Singla, she recommends cooking a large batch of chickpeans in a slow cooker, using one-half for this recipe and freezing the remainder for later use. If you do not want to make your own masala, experiment with commercial masala spice blends. Serve as a snack, in salads instead of croutons or in soups. Posted for ZWT8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas (see below) or 2 (12 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chat masala (Chaat masala or garam masala or sambhar masala may be used)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drain the chickpeas in a large colander to get rid of as much moisture as possible, 15 minutes. If using canned, rinse first then drain.
- 2Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl, coating the chickpeas well.
- 3Arrange the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- 4Bake 15 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven; mix gently so the chickpeas cook evenly. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes more.
- 5Cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the additional red chili powder if you like.
- 6TO PREPARE YOUR OWN COOKED CHICKPEAS:
- 7Singla says soaking the chickpeas first isn't necessary. They will cook up just as soft as if they were presoaked. Don't have a slow cooker? Use a heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, reduce the amount of water by 1/2 to 1 cup, use a very low flame and keep a careful eye that the chickpeas don't burn.
- 8Pick over and rinse 3 cups (about 18 ounces) whole, dried chickpeas.
- 9Place in a 3 1/2-quart capacity slow cooker with 5 cups water.
- 10Cook on high 4 hours.
- 11Rinse the beans with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain excess liquid.
- 12Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week or the freezer up to 3 months. Makes 7 cups.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Poppers
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.5
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 945.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: