Recipe by FloridaNative
Found this in our local newspaper, the Orlando Sentinel July 25, 2012 - they ran a special section on Vegan Indian cooking. In "Vegan Indian Cooking" by Anupy Singla, she recommends cooking a large batch of chickpeans in a slow cooker, using one-half for this recipe and freezing the remainder for later use. If you do not want to make your own masala, experiment with commercial masala spice blends. Serve as a snack, in salads instead of croutons or in soups. Posted for ZWT8.
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas (see below) or 2 (12 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chat masala (Chaat masala or garam masala or sambhar masala may be used)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drain the chickpeas in a large colander to get rid of as much moisture as possible, 15 minutes. If using canned, rinse first then drain.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl, coating the chickpeas well.
- Arrange the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven; mix gently so the chickpeas cook evenly. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes more.
- Cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the additional red chili powder if you like.
- TO PREPARE YOUR OWN COOKED CHICKPEAS:
- Singla says soaking the chickpeas first isn't necessary. They will cook up just as soft as if they were presoaked. Don't have a slow cooker? Use a heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, reduce the amount of water by 1/2 to 1 cup, use a very low flame and keep a careful eye that the chickpeas don't burn.
- Pick over and rinse 3 cups (about 18 ounces) whole, dried chickpeas.
- Place in a 3 1/2-quart capacity slow cooker with 5 cups water.
- Cook on high 4 hours.
- Rinse the beans with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain excess liquid.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week or the freezer up to 3 months. Makes 7 cups.