1 hr 30 mins
Chef Johnny Ringo's Note:
This is a great alternative to a traditional pasta or corn polenta lasagna.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water or 4 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb garbanzo flour
Spinach Walnut Pesto
- 24 ounces spinach (Thawed and drained frozen is fine)
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2Combine water, salt, and the olive oil in a saucepan, and gradually whisk in the chickpea flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is stiff and starts to pull away from the sides as you stir it, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Spoon into a lightly oiled 9x13 pan, and spread it quickly with the spatula in an even layer. Let cool for one our until completely firm. Can be made the day before.
- 4Spinach Walnut Pesto: Combine all incredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Depending on the texture you like you may need to add more oil and / or water. By the way, this makes WAY more pesto than you'll need, but it's delicious so use it for something else.
- 5Putting it all together:.
- 6Slice the Polenta to fit whatever pan you're going to make the lasagna in, you'll need two layers. I made mine in a bread pan, so had about 1/3 left over to use for something else.
- 7Brown the Polenta in a little oil on a non-stick grill.
- 8Slice the tomato and cook the slices in a little oil on a non-stick grill until nicely carmelized.
- 9Chop the half onion into the size pieces you like and cook in a little oil on a non-stick grill until nicely carmelized.
- 10Place the first layer of polenta in a buttered baking dish.
- 11Spread as much pesto as you like on it.
- 12Spread with Marinara sauce.
- 13Place tomatoes on top.
- 14Place carmelized onions on top.
- 15Place small spoons full of Ricotta on top to form an even layer.
- 16Put a layer of Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- 17Top with the next layer of Polenta and cover all with marinara sauce.
- 18Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes, until hot and bubbling.
- 19Remove from the oven, set oven to broil, top with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan and broil until the cheese is nicely browned.
- 20Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and enjoying!
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Polenta Lasagna With Spinach Walnut Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.0
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.3 mg
- Sodium 850.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: