Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a great alternative to a traditional pasta or corn polenta lasagna.
- 4 cups water or 4 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb garbanzo flour
Spinach Walnut Pesto
- 24 ounces spinach (Thawed and drained frozen is fine)
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 yellow onion
- 1 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Combine water, salt, and the olive oil in a saucepan, and gradually whisk in the chickpea flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is stiff and starts to pull away from the sides as you stir it, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled 9x13 pan, and spread it quickly with the spatula in an even layer. Let cool for one our until completely firm. Can be made the day before.
- Spinach Walnut Pesto: Combine all incredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Depending on the texture you like you may need to add more oil and / or water. By the way, this makes WAY more pesto than you'll need, but it's delicious so use it for something else.
- Putting it all together:.
- Slice the Polenta to fit whatever pan you're going to make the lasagna in, you'll need two layers. I made mine in a bread pan, so had about 1/3 left over to use for something else.
- Brown the Polenta in a little oil on a non-stick grill.
- Slice the tomato and cook the slices in a little oil on a non-stick grill until nicely carmelized.
- Chop the half onion into the size pieces you like and cook in a little oil on a non-stick grill until nicely carmelized.
- Place the first layer of polenta in a buttered baking dish.
- Spread as much pesto as you like on it.
- Spread with Marinara sauce.
- Place tomatoes on top.
- Place carmelized onions on top.
- Place small spoons full of Ricotta on top to form an even layer.
- Put a layer of Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Top with the next layer of Polenta and cover all with marinara sauce.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes, until hot and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, set oven to broil, top with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan and broil until the cheese is nicely browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and enjoying!
My whole family liked this! And this was the first time I made polenta for them. AND I even veganized it - tofu-ricotta and almond cheese. Yum!