Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Vegetarian Times. The pesto can be tossed with pasta too.
Make and share this Chickpea Pesto-Stuffed Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid)
- 2 cups lightly packed basil leaves (or 2 cups a mix of basil and parsley)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water, chickpea cooking liquid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese (optional) or romano cheese (optional)
- 12 -16 fresh large mushrooms or 24 small mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350°F Toast pine nuts in dry skillet until aromatic and lightly colored. Be careful not to overcook.
- Combine pine nuts and chickpeas in food processor and grind. Add herbs and garlic and purée to a thick paste. Add chickpea liquid and process until blended. Add oil and process until incorporated.
- Add salt and mix. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Remove mushroom stems and reserve for another use; clean mushroom caps. Fill caps with a tablespoonful (use a teaspoon for small mushrooms) of pesto.
- Place mushrooms in a baking dish. Bake until mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes. Very large mushrooms may take longer to cook.
I tried this recipe over whole wheat pasta, and it was delicious!