Chickpea Pesto-Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350°F Toast pine nuts in dry skillet until aromatic and lightly colored. Be careful not to overcook.
- Combine pine nuts and chickpeas in food processor and grind. Add herbs and garlic and purée to a thick paste. Add chickpea liquid and process until blended. Add oil and process until incorporated.
- Add salt and mix. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Remove mushroom stems and reserve for another use; clean mushroom caps. Fill caps with a tablespoonful (use a teaspoon for small mushrooms) of pesto.
- Place mushrooms in a baking dish. Bake until mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes. Very large mushrooms may take longer to cook.