Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe for savoury pancakes - ideal for vegetarians and those who can't have wheat flour. Haven't tried yet, but goes well as a brunch dish with shredded chicken, bean sprouts, mushrooms and spinach apparently..From Dominique Rizzo, a Brisbane organic chef. TIP; test the 1st pancake and if it's a bit dry, add some more oil to the batter.
- 500 g besan flour (chickpea flour)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 shallots, sliced finely
- 1 pinch nigella seeds
- ghee (for frying) or other oil (for frying)
- Whisk together the flour and water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Adjust with more flour or water as necessary. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Heat some ghee (or oil) in a non stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter into pan and cook until the top starts looking a little dry and bubbles appear. Turn and cook til other side browned. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with rest of batter.
- Serving ideas; topped with sweet chutney, some yoghurt mixed with lemon juice, as well as chopped coriander. Or sauteed mushrooms, wilted spinach and spiced chutney. Or a meat version with the chicken mentioned above.