Recipe by Lalaloula
Are you looking for a hearty, nutritious and yummy snack that is easy to prepare and sure to please your family?! Then maybe this recipe is right up your alley. It features flavourful chickpeas, nutty sesame seeds, a fruity tomato sauce, some onions, aromatic spices and a sprinkling of cheese. Sounds good?! Well, then what are you waiting for, give it a try! :)
Top Review by Zurie
Reviewed for "Dining On A Dollar", Nov. 2010. I thought this sounded like a highly original savoury muffin by an imaginative cook! I confess I added a pinch of baking powder, due to the "weight" of the chickpeas as well as the oil, and it seemed to work just fine. I love cumin, and also added a tiny bit more. I also added sea salt, because the recipe has no salt in the ingredients. The batter was a little dry, so I added ... wait for it ... some coffee cream! (I think it's better known to you as half-and-half). Man, it worked! I put some extra roasted sesame seeds on the batter before it went into the oven. Thanks for a very nice treat!
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, dry roasted in frying pan
- 1 2⁄3 cups self rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and mashed (with a potato masher)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 ml oil (6-7 tbs)
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce (may need more)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions, sliced (slender)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet dry toast the sesame seeds over medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- In a big bowl combine flour, sesame seeds and spices (garlic, cumin and chili powder).
- In a second bowl combine eggs, tomato sauce, oil and mashed chickpeas.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. If dough is too dry, add a tbs or two more of tomato sauce. If dough is too wet, add a bit more flour. Do not overmix.
- Lastly fold in the shredded cheddar cheese and spring onion slices.
- Fill into prepared muffin tins and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F for 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
- Enjoy! :).