Recipe by Skipper/Sy
This recipe was created for the “Dining on A Dollar” contest. This dish is very easy to make and using ingredients that can often be found in your kitchen. Chickpeas (also know as garbanzo bean, Indian pea, ceci bean, Bengal gram) is one of the required ingredients to use and combined with mushrooms, cheese and a touch of tomato sauce makes this egg omelet a tasty one for breakfast or brunch to try.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I really liked the creative use of the tomato sauce, as well as the technique for cooking the omelet. I cook (steam) the tops of fried eggs in the same manner, but it never occurred to me to do it with an omelet. I always want to mess with the egg while it's cooking. :) The instructions were well-written and easy to follow. The flavors in this dish all went well together. The four stars comes from DH not liking the texture (dryness) of the whole chickpeas & for me not liking the mushrooms. Both personal preference, but they are things we'd change next time. I'm wondering if DH would enjoy the chickpeas more if they were first mashed and then combined with the tomato sauce and sauteed onion. Thanks for creating & submitting a delicious breakfast recipe!
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon dried onion, Minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 eggs, large
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can mushroom pieces (drained mushrooms)
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans (drained)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut up into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan add the cooking oil and then the dried minced onions and stir-fry for about a minute, then add the tomato sauce and stir fry for two minutes, set aside.
- TO MAKE ONE OMELET.
- In a small bowl add 2 eggs and whisk with a fork, set aside.
- Using a Teflon non-stick frying pan add 1 tablespoon of the margarine and coat the entire surface of the pan, then when hot add 2 eggs.
- When the eggs start to set in the pan, add some mushroom pieces, some garbanzo beans,.
- some cheese (spread out evenly).
- Next place a pan cover on top and cook until the eggs and ingredients appears cooked (about 2 minutes or more).
- Remove the cover, sprinkle some Mr. Dash on top and drizzle some tomato sauce on top (to taste) as well.
- Take a standard size plate (the same size as the frying pan) and hold in one hand and at the same time hold the frying pan in your other hand, Next tilt the pan and start sliding the omelet onto the plate… or half way onto the plate you can flip over the omelet with the pan, to close omelet, It takes a little practice and not necessary to use a spatula.