Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Snagged the base for this recipe from Allrecipes. Now one of my family's FAVORITE pasta salads. And it's healthy to boot!!
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup kalamata olive, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse under cold water to chill, and drain.
- Meanwhile, combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic, feta cheese, olives, salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Set aside to marinate while the pasta is cooking.
- Mix macaroni with chickpea mixture. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to blend flavors.
I was looking for a quick and easy to prepare lunch recipe yesterday and stumbled upon this, for which I had all the ingredients. DH and I were pleased with the way it turned out, enjoyed the flavors, and thought the prep went quickly, especially with both of us chopping. It is very good today, as well, when I had it for leftovers. The only comment for the future was that DH misses the tang that red wine vinegar gives to other salads with similar ingredients we have had in the past. Perhaps we will experiment with that next time. Thanks for posting.
This is a favorite of ours, though I have to make a separate portion for the daughter that hates feta. We use rotini pasta & grape tomatoes. We add more garlic because we love garlic, and sometimes yellow & orange bell peppers if we have them. It's a great make ahead dinner.
I loved this! I used cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. The lemon juice amount is not overpowering. I would add more lemon juice (at your discretion) if you want more lemon flavor. I added some green onions to my plate as someone suggested. Yummy!