Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Oh Jamie Oliver, we love you here in Toronto too, come visit us won't you? haha. This is a great soup, it has more of a stew consistency actually, just with yummy healthy chickpeas, leeks & cheese!
- 2 medium leeks
- 15 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 22.18 ml thyme
- 400 g chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Trim, separate and rinse leeks.
- Slice the leeks into fine shreds and place into soup pot along with the butter, garlic & thyme, stir, cover and let slowly cook until the leeks become softened slightly.
- Add the chickpeas to the leeks with the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil then simmer for about half and hour or until the potatoes are well cooked.
- If the soup is to thick, thin it down with a little boiling water.
- Break up the chickpeas & pieces of potato to thicken it slightly. Season the soup with salt and pepper
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and drizzle on some olive oil.
Ummm Ummm Good! Had everything on hand except I happen to have a bag of roasted thyme with sesame seeds and salt in it and used that instead of regular dried thyme. Oh, I loved it, especially with the olive oil and Parmesan cheese. PS: I also added some crushed red pepper to it in my bowl. Thanks for the recipe!
This was really good, especially with the homemade chicken stock (so much for our vegetarian good intentions). I only used 1.5 teaspoons of thyme. Was the tablespoon measure a typo?