Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For a tasty salad, try this Spanish-style recipe for chickpeas tossed with fresh herbs, cucumber and garlic. The amounts of herbs can be changed according to taste. To save time, use canned chickpeas and start the recipe from step 3.
- 1 lb chickpeas, soaked overnight
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 peeled and left whole, one peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, finely diced
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Drain the soaked chickpeas. Place the chick peas and the whole garlic clove in a large saucepan.
- Cover generously with water and bring to the boil. Cook briskly uncovered for 1 and a half hours to 2 hours until the chick peas are tender. Season with salt towards the end of the cooking period. Drain the cooked chick peas.
- Toss the cooked chick peas with the remaining garlic, onion, cucumber, chili, wine vinegar, parsley, mint and cilantro.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve.