Recipe by JackieOhNo!
From "Carribbean Carnival", Good Food Magazine, February 1987. These fritters can be served hot or at room temperature. A lighter oil will have a more neutral taste. Peanut oil or extra-virgin olive oil might overpower the mayonnaise.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
DD and I really enjoyed these little fritters for dinner last night. The mayo sauce was a nice embellishment. I was afraid they might be too spicy for our tastes but they were fine. Made for Soup-A-Stars ZWT9
Hot Pepper Mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup oil (sunflower, safflower, canola or soybean)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 dash hot red pepper sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make mayonnaise: Process egg, mustard, and salt in food processor or blender until mixed. With machine running, add oil in thin, steady stream and process until emulsified. Transfer mayonnaise to small bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
- Make fritters: Process chick-peas, onion, flour, eggs, garlic, red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper in food processor or blender just until slightly chunky, 5-6 pulses. Transfer to mixing bowl and stir in scallions and parsley.
- If serving fritters hot, heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until small drop of batter makes lively sizzle. Drop batter by 1/2 tablespoonfuls into oil and flatten slightly with spatula. Fry until bottom is brown, 1-2 minutes, then turn and brown second side. Transfer fritters to paper towels to drain. Keep warm in oven or let cool to room temperature. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with pepper mayonnaise.