Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
Ancient Egyptians, using available cooking oil and forgetting the Tabasco sauce and butter spray, might have enjoyed a very similar fried treat. Before serving you may use a spray butter topping on them if you like.
- 2 (15 -15 1/2 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 2 egg whites
- sunflower oil (for deep frying)
- canola oil (for deep frying)
- Put all the ingredients except the oils in a food processor and pulse until just combined; do not over mix.
- Remove the blade and, using a measuring spoon, scoop out level tablespoons of the mixture onto a plate covered with wax paper or coated with butter spray until you have approximately 30 little balls. Can be prepared up until this point and refrigerated until dinner time.
- Warm the combination of sunflower and canola oil in a deep fryer (recommended) or in a heavy skillet. One at a time, drop 10 of the chick pea balls into the oil and fry for about 1-2 minutes, until they're golden brown and nice and crisp on the outside.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and keep warm in a 250 degree oven while you repeat the process two more times. Spray the fritters with butter topping and serve.