Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This looks interesting and different. I am guessing you could fairly easily mix up the sort of veg you are roasting for the dish. I found it in the 2008 copy of 'Vegetarian Christmas' special put out by the BBC Good Food Magazine.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- lemon wedge, to garnish
- flat leaf parsley, to garnish
For The Roasted vegetables
- 14 1⁄2 ounces parsnips, peeled and cut into batons
- 14 1⁄2 ounces carrots, peeled and cut into batons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the parsnips and carrots into a roasting dish with the olive oil, honey, lemon juice and zest.
- Season with some salt and pepper and mix gently.
- Roast in the oven for about 1 hour, turning the vegetables occasionally.
- To make the flatcake, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pad.
- Add the onions and cover and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin seeds and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile process the chickpeas in a food processor until ground.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the chickpeas, egg and some salt and pepper.
- Put the mixture into a lightly oiled 11 inch round loose-based tin (I am translating that from cm in the original recipe so do as close as you can) and smooth the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil, pour the remaining oil over the top and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown - but don't let it get dry.
- Remove from the oven.
- Turn the flatcake out of the tin and slide it onto a warm serving dish.
- Spoon the roasted vegetables on top.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley to serve.