Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Marcus Samuelsson - this dip is so good. It is like hummous and baba ganoush had a delicious baby. The prep time looks super long because you have to soak the dried chickpeas.
- 2 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in half
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 birds eye chilies, cut in half (seeded and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Soak the dried chickpeas in cold water for 8 hours, then drain.
- Combine chickpeas, carrot, and onion in a medium saucepan, add 4 cups water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain, remove carrot and onion, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Toss the garlic and eggplant with 1.4 cup of olive oil and arrange on a cookie sheet (eggplant with the cut side down) and roast for 40 minutes.
- Add the chilies to the roasting pan, cut side down and roast for another 10 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle
- Scoop the flesh from the eggplant and transfer to a blender and then add the roasted garlic and chilies, chickpeas, harissa, cumin, remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, and 2-3 tbsp of the reserved cooking water.
- Puree, adding more of the cooking liquid 2-3 tbsp at a time if necessary until it's smooth and creamy.
- Serve at room temperature with pita!
I cut the recipe way back, it was just the two of us. Also took Dr. Jenny's advice and added some more spice, a chopped serrano chilie pepper, served with soft skinny hamburger pieces, delish. Oh, I used canned garbanzo beans. Made for ZWT7, Shady Ladies. Thanks for a nice appetizer or meal, it was very hardy.
We used canned chickpeas, but then cooked them on the stovetop with the carrot and onion as specified. We thought the recipe was a little bland. We ended up adding more harissa, cumin and salt, which helped. This makes a lot of dip so we will be serving leftovers tonight at our BBQ. We served with baked pita chips. Made for ZWT 7