Recipe by Enjolinfam
Dahl is a staple in India, usually eaten with every meal. My family always eats Dahl when we make Indian food. This is a new recipe for Dahl made and demonstrated by Cinda Sanders on a cooking show titled "Indian Cuisine."
Top Review by Lisa C.
Mine is delicious! Had to use a different margarine to replace the dairy but you can't even tell the difference. I also replaced 1 can of diced tomatoes for a fresh one, and used diced tomatoes with green chiles for canned. Love the spice! Next time I will add more water.
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 (2 inch) fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in salted water until tender yet firm. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion in 1 tablespoons oil until clear. Transfer to a food processor along with the tomatoes and fresh ginger, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine and add the curry powder and cumin. Saute for 4-5 minutes over medium heat. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Add the tomato mixture and continue to cook for 5 - 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chickpeas, potatoes and frozen peas. Cook 5 - 10 minutes more. Serve hot over rice.