Recipe by emily.soulliere
This is from Veganomicon By Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
Top Review by Lovaskon
The first time I made these, they turned out very chewy. I almost couldn't eat them at all, especially not the leftovers. When I made them again, I used 1/4 cup of vwg and 1/4 cup of chickpea flour instead of just vwg. Terrific! Almost like schnitzel!
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed or grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- olive oil, for pan frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the chickpeas and oil together until no whole chickpeas remain.
- Add remaining ingredients and knead for 3 minutes until strings of gluten have formed.
- Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Divide dough into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece and stretch to roughly 4x6 inches.
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to to the pan. Place cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. They are ready when lightly brown and firm to the touch.