1/3 Photos of Chickpea Curry (Indian Style) over Basmati Rice
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This recipe was inspired by a dish I received in my "Meatless Monday" weekly emails. I changed it around ALOT by adding a few more interesting spices and served it over basmati rice simmered with turmeric. I often make Indian curries using chickpeas, but this recipe added a couple tsp of peanut butter, which I thought sounded really interesting. Please adjust the heat according to your tastes. One small red chili can be substituted for the red chili powder (please note the red chili powder is like cayenne pepper, not the spice blend for making Mexican chilli!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped (or any large sweet onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (I like the brand Madras)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, half the liquid reserved
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf
FOR THE RICE
- 1For the rice:.
- 2Rinse 1 1/2 cups basmati rice in cold water until the rinsing water is no longer cloudy.
- 3Add 1 tbsp butter to a skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add rice to skillet and toast in butter for a minute or two until fragrant.
- 5Add 1/2 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp turmeric and mix into rice.
- 6Next add 3 cups of water and cover.
- 7Bring to a slight boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat and let sit a minute or two.
- 9Fluff rice with fork, and keep covered until ready to serve.
- 10For the curry:.
- 11Saute onion and garlic over medium heat until softened and slighty browned.
- 12Add chili powder or chilli if using and cook for another minute or so.
- 13Next add the cumin, curry powder and corriander into the onions and garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- 14Add chickpeas and reserved liquid, stir to coat evenly with all the spices.
- 15Next add the lemon juice and tomato paste, cook on medium heat for about 5 more minutes until all is heated through.
- 16If pan seems try, please add a little water, 1/4 cup at a time.
- 17Place about 1/3 of the chickpea mixture into a blender and blend for about 20 seconds (here as well, please feel free to add a little water if mixture is too thick to blend).
- 18Add blended chickpeas back to the pan and cook for another 5 or so minutes.
- 19Finally, add the 2 tsp of peanut butter, until melted into the curry.
- 20Stir in 1/2 of the cilantro leaves.
- 21Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 22Serve over the basmati rice and top with remaining cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Curry (Indian Style) over Basmati Rice
Serving Size: 1 (512 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 1055.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.6 g