Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
This is from a great old TV programme called "food and drink" sadly it is no more but I have kept this recipe on a piece of paper for years although I know it by heart the cat has just shredded the original so it is now here where she can't get it ;)
Top Review by kelly in TO
Fantastic! This does have great flavor, I really enjoyed this and it was super fast and easy to make with things I already have on hand. I used low sodium canned tomatoes, and even skipped out of the salt all together - Still good. Parsley is right, cabbage or spinach would have been awesome in this. A keeper, thank you!
- 400 g canned chick-peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 inches piece gingerroot (grated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh tomatoes or 200 g canned tomatoes
- 1 pinch garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a deep saucepan or a medium sized wok and add the oil or butter followed by the onions and garlic.
- Fry the mixture till the onions are caramelised. Then add the salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilli powders. Mix for a minute and tip in the tomatoes. Cook the sauce until it begins to thicken.
- Add ¼ cup of water and stir. Then tip in the chickpeas and mix. Mash a few of the chickpeas while mixing.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the ginger and the garam masala.
- Cook for another minute and serve.