Recipe by LARavenscroft
A gluten free, dairy free chowder that draws its creaminess from peanut butter and coconut milk. Makes a nice lunch or a quick and easy meal for those busy weeknights. Cooking time does not include time for cooking brown rice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 lime, juiced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add jalapenos, red bell pepper and garlic. Saute five minutes or until peppers are soft.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in peanut butter and stir continuously until peanut butter is melted.
- Add minced onion, soy sauce, beans, rice, coconut milk and cayenne. Simmer for about ten minutes.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and heat through.