Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light. May 2007. This would be good for OAMC.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 4 cups chopped swiss chard
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute.
- Partially mash chickpeas with a potato masher. Add chickpeas, chard, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place chickpea mixture in an airtight container or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
- Thaw chickpea mixture overnight in refrigerator.
- Reheat chickpea mixture in microwave or
- place mixture in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.