This is a great vegan dish. You can make it dairy by substituting the soy cheese with a good Edam.
Make and share this Chickpea Cassoulet with Tomatoes and Chard recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches red peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 bunch chard leaves, leaves only (or fresh or frozen spinach)
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup grated soy cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch saffron thread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook pasta al dente; drain.
- Saute onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, herbs, paprika, and saffron (if desired).
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently until onions are soft about 8 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, 1/2 cup of their liquid and tomatoes.
- Season with pepper.
- Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- If pan becomes dry, add a little water to keep it moist.
- Steam chard until bright green and tender.
- Remove, chop coarsely, season with pepper and if desired salt.
- Put pasta in casserole, add chick pea-tomato mixture, chard and cheese.
- Toss until well mixed.
- Cover with foil and bake until warmed through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with additional grated cheese if desired.