Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
An excellent vegetarian curry or side dish for a regular curry meal
- 0.22 lb desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 dried red chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, cut lengthways into wedges
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 0.88 lb chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm squares
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Toast the desiccated coconut, coriander seeds, 10 of the curry leaves, garlic and 3 of the dried chilies in a dry fry pan for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When the coconut begins to colour, remove from the heat and cool (best to tip it onto a cool plate at once).
- Place the mixture in a food processor, add the water and pulse to for a thin paste. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy pan and add the onions; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, turmeric, chilli powder, chickpeas, capsicum and tomatoes.
- Mix well add the coconut paste from the food processor and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Put the remaining oil in a small pan and heat for 1 minute. Add the remaining curry leaves, dried red chillies and the mustard seeds; remove from the heat when the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Pour the flavoured oil over the curry stir and serve.