1/2 Photos of Chickpea, Cannellini Bean, and Wheatberry Soup
Ambrosia for Guen's Note:
I tweaked this recipe from one in La Cucina Italiana magazine. There are so many Amazing recipes in that publication! What I have done is add some herbs to get that extra little zip in flavor. You can add nearly Anything to this soup since it's so basic, but I kept it simple with just adding herbs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak cannelini beans in warm water overnight (or approx 8 hours). In a separate container, soak chickpeas and wheatberries together with baking powder overnight (or approx 8 hours).
- 2Lighlty salt soaking water and cook cannelini beans and chickpea/wheatberry mixture separately until al dente.
- 3Drain both pots, but don't throw the chickpea/wheatberry cooking water out-you'll need it for later.
- 4Add Cannellini beans to chickpea/wheatberry mixture in a big pot. Put back 7 cups of the cooking water (or if you eyeballed the bean/pea/berry amounts like I did, just make sure it's covered enough to look like a soup and add fresh water if needed). Salt and pepper the water just a teeny bit. Cook all together until everything is tender. When served, drizzle soup with olive oil, herbs, and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea, Cannellini Bean, and Wheatberry Soup
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.2
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 99.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: