Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
It's important to remove the seeds from the cucumber. Adapted from America's Test Kitchen.
- 2 slices high-quality white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded (use large holes of grater)
- 1 1⁄4 cups Greek yogurt, divided
- 6 scallions, sliced thin, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse bread in food processor to coarse crumbs. Spread crumbs on rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown and dry, 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Toss cucumber and 1/2 teaspoon salt in colander and drain for 15 minutes.
- Combine cucumber, 3/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons scallions and 1 tablespoon cilantro in bowl and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, 2 tablespoons oil, garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt in bowl.
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and mash them with a potato masher until mostly smooth. Stir in breadcrumbs, egg mixture, and remaining yogurt, scallions, and cilantro. Form into six 1-inch-thick patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add three patties and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and tent loosely with foil. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
- Serve with cucumber-yogurt sauce.