Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe on-line and tweaked it a bit. This vegetarian dish makes even this omnivore's mouth water. Yum!
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onions
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (6 1/2 inch) whole wheat pita bread or 2 (6 1/2 inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- chopped lettuce
- Place chickpeas, onion, egg, flour, oregano, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix well either in a food processor or using a potato masher.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties and cook until golden and beginning to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip and cook until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Warm wraps by placing them over chick pea burgers.
- Combine yogurt/sour cream , tahini, lemon juice, parsley, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Place patties on the pitas/tortillas and serve with the sauce.
- Top burgers with tomato slices and/or avocado slices and lettuce.