Recipe by Shannon Holmes
These are so yummy! I serve these with chopped cucumbers, Tahini Goddess Dressing, sliced tomatoes and lettuce on a toasted (toast the face of the bun in the skillet) burger bun.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, minced (I used more like 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup carrot (finely chopped or shredded)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas (one 14 ounce can, drained)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced (I used about 1 1/2 tbsp. dried)
- 1⁄3 cup chickpea flour or 1⁄3 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 T of oil and sauté the onions over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and carrot and sauté for two more minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl or food processor and add the chickpeas.
- Mash or process until mushy.
- Stir in tahini and parsley and lemon juice.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in the small bowl, then stir into chickpeas.
- Flour your hands, shape mixture into four patties, and dust them with flour (I added the flour to the bean mixture. here).
- Fry in 1 T oil over medium-low heat for 1 minute, until just beginning to brown or spray with cooking spray and cook that way for less calories.
- Flip, fry 2 minutes, flip again, and fry 1 one minute (2 minutes total per side).