Recipe by Engrossed
From: "Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa" by Habeeb Salloum. From Palestine and Jordan regions.
Top Review by Chef Kate
I liked this VERY much, but had a couple of problems with the recipe. First, the amount of oil (even with using only about 3 tablespoons), lemon, garlic and salt was way too much for one can of chick peas. Once I added a second can, it was much improved. Second, resting it only one hour did not really give the flavors a chance to marry. Aftr that short time, the garlic totally predominated. However, after several hours, the flavors absolutely shone. The lemon/garlic/cilantro/mint mix was terrific with th scallions. Interestingly, this also served as the base for a second great dish--mixed with warm pasta, this formed a lovely salad, with the pasta the perfect foil for the lemony garlicy beans.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped to garnish or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint, to garnish