Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
A hardy soup reminiscent of split pea soup. Can also be made non-vegetarian by adding 3 ounces of diced ham and substituting chicken broth for the vegetable broth.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 2⁄3 cups chickpeas
- 3 whole tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- Mix the onions, mushrooms, oil, garlic, paprika and allspice in a sauce pan.
- Cook for 1 minute over medium high heat.
- Add broth, chickpeas and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Reheat and serve.