- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansorganic diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- hot cooked rice, if desired
- plain yogurt, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, ginger root and curry powder in oil about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are tender.
- Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes and heat to boiling; Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cilantro, lemon juice and salt.
- Serve over rice; top each serving with yogurt and for vegan simply omit the yogurt.