1/1 Photo of Chickpea and Tahini Soup
Serah B.'s Note:
from Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons. Serve with pita bread and tabbouleh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (I use Broth Powder Mix)
- 2 cups white mushrooms or 2 cups baby portabella mushrooms or 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free seasoning
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh parsley, to taste
- 3 -4 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh dill, minced (to taste)
- 1/2-1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat oil in soup pot. Add onion and garlic and saute over med-low until golden.
- 2Add water and bullion cubes, mushrooms, cabbage, and seasonings. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, set aside 1 cup of the chickpeas and place the remainder in a food processor or blender with the tahini. Add a little water as needed to thin the consistency. Process until smoothly pureed. Stir the puree back into the soup pot.
- 4Stir in the reserved chickpeas, bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in parsley, scallions, dill and lemon juice. Add water as needed for medium-thick consistency.
- 6Season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea and Tahini Soup
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.8
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 472.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes