Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons. Serve with pita bread and tabbouleh.
Make and share this Chickpea and Tahini Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (I use Broth Powder Mix)
- 2 cups white mushrooms or 2 cups baby portabella mushrooms or 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free seasoning
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, to taste
- 3 -4 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh dill, minced (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in soup pot. Add onion and garlic and saute over med-low until golden.
- Add water and bullion cubes, mushrooms, cabbage, and seasonings. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set aside 1 cup of the chickpeas and place the remainder in a food processor or blender with the tahini. Add a little water as needed to thin the consistency. Process until smoothly pureed. Stir the puree back into the soup pot.
- Stir in the reserved chickpeas, bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, scallions, dill and lemon juice. Add water as needed for medium-thick consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes longer.
This was a really lovely soup! I liked how it had a nice, creamy consistency without actually using cream. The flavors were well balanced and I especially enjoyed the taste of the fresh dill. I used Italian seasoning as the "sodium free seasoning." I used a combination of cremini mushrooms that I was trying to use up and white button. This made for a very enjoyable lunch today for DH and myself. Thanks for posting! Made for Sun and Spice 2013.