2 hrs 30 mins
I thought I might do a little variation on a traditional morrocan dish (because I bought myself a new Tajine). This Dish has the unusual combination of orange zest and fresh green chillies and whole spices.The Tajine I am using is a 32cm one (quite large but everything will fit in a large casserole dish). And please try to use Fresh figs (I have a little tree that gives me some fruit now and then) and tinned spinach (it just has that deeper taste). I just like it in a bowl with warm pita or soft tortilla but can be served with couscous or boiled rice. Please enjoy and let me know what you think...I love it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chickpeas
- 800 g spinach
- 10 pitted black olives
- 8 figs, quartered
- 4 green chilies
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, 6tbs to cook and 2tbs to dress
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons whole dried coriander
- 1 tablespoon whole dried cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon bay leaf powder
- salt, to tasty
- 1Heat your 6 tbls of olive oil in a pan and fry your onions till see through (not golden). Add your garlic now cook till golden.
- 2Add your olives and gently cook till they soften slightly (don't let your onion and garlic burn).
- 3lower the heat and add your WHOLE SPICE let them heat through for a min or two (you should smell a nutty scent).Remove from heat.
- 4Add the POWDER SPICE to the warm pan and stir put back on a low heat and keep moving the mix around for no more than a min (don't let it burn) it may smell muddy--that's the cinnamon and chile (they don't like each other but taste great together) but that means it's ready.
- 5Mix in your TINNED drained spinach,.
- 6Add your veg stock to the mixture and stir in, bring too simmer point and remove from heat.
- 7Put your chickpeas (rinsed and drained) into your Tajine or casserole and stir in the mixture. Make sure you cover with a lid and place in a cold oven.
- 8Cook for one and a half hours on 200°C.
- 9While that's simmering away place together the figs, coriander, chilie, and 2 tbps of olive oil.and mix gently together, set aside to let the flavours meld.
- 10After an hour and a half remove from the oven and pour the fig mix over the spinach and chickpeas, recover and cook for a further 30 minutes--don't stir.
- 11Remove from the oven and now gently turn it all together and salt to taste.
- 12Sprinkle the orange zest over and take to the table.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea and Spinach With Fresh Figs and Black Olives Tajine.
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 321.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of