Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
OAMC from Real Simple
Make and share this Chickpea and Sausage Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, thawed and casings removed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen leaf spinach
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- 8 slices bread, toasted (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and cilantro and cook for 1 minute more. Add the broth and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Add the frozen spinach and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to separate the leaves. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Divide the toasted bread, if using, among individual bowls and spoon the stew on top.