Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
Delicious on a wintry day!
Top Review by Planner
Would have been perfect, but it was a little greasy with all that olive oil. Next time I'll only use a tablespoon or 2. I used homemade stock, fresh tomatoes and 1/2 of the rosemary in dried form. Added a pinch of oregano, a bay leaf and some red pepper flakes for added spice. I didn't have any orzo so I threw in 1/2 lb of small shell instead. Creamy and wonderful on a cold night.
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups canned tomatoes or 2 cups your own frozen tomatoes
- 1 (20 ounce) can chickpeas or 2 cups prepared chickpeas
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2⁄3 cup orzo pasta
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, sauté the garlic, onion and rosemary in oil until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add beef stock, orzo and salt and pepper. Heat thoroughly and let simmer for twenty minutes before serving, or put in a slow cooker on low for the day.
- Serve the soup with bowls of chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.