Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this in an on-line recipe swap and it comes from my Aunt Phyllis's friend Nancy's daughter! It's easy to make and tastes better the NEXT day!
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot, melt butter over moderately low heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper and lentils. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and voila!