Recipe by Oolala
I got this in an on-line recipe swap and it comes from my Aunt Phyllis's friend Nancy's daughter! It's easy to make and tastes better the NEXT day!
Top Review by Fat Guy in the Kitchen
We enjoyed this. It's a unique taste and this recipe makes a lot so it could easily be cut in half. I also added two cloves of garlic. I teamed this up with #80113 for a little more substance. I'm glad I did because I don't think this would stick my ribs very well.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt butter over moderately low heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper and lentils. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and voila!