Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious and light tomato-based soup. A dollop of fresh hummus on top tastes unbelievable ! *Note: Depending on how brothy you like your soup, you can just adjust the amount of liquid. So if you want it to be more like a stew, use less water and stock, and if you want it to be more like a light soup, add more.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces vegetable broth
- 12 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, chopped
- 4 cups spinach, fresh leaves
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 12 ounces chickpeas, canned
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sautee onion and garlic in a large soup pot until onion are aromatic and browned, so approximately 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, water, canned tomatoes, and chopped tomatoes. Reduce heat to low once liquid is warm.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 30-40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
This was easy and delicious. The hummus on top gave it a nice creamy texture. I didn't have all the veggies on hand and didn't want to wait to try it, so I subbed bagged frozen veggies for the zucchini and green beans. It got rave reviews from both my non-veg husband and my 23-month-old. A definite keeper!