1/1 Photo of Chickpea and Apricot Muffins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Chickpeas and apricots: now those are healthy ingredients in a muffin! This recipe was emailed to me from the Simply Great Meals Recipe Club. I haven't yet made it but it caught my attention because I was impressed by the healthy ingredients, particularly the inclusion of chickpeas and from a search on Zaar I couldn't find any muffin recipes containing chickpeas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the apricots and apricot nectar in a small saucepan and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 2Place the apricot mixture and chickpeas in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- 3Stir the eggs, milk and melted butter into the chickpea mixture until all the ingredients are well combined.
- 4Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the coconut and brown sugar.
- 5Gradually stir the chickpea mixture into the flour and sugar mixture, and mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- 6Spoon the muffin mixture into 12 greased 1/2 cup muffin pans and bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 20-25 minutes.
- 7When cooked, remove the muffins from the oven and allow to stand in the pan for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool, dust with icing sugar and serve (optional).
- 8TIP: Use half wholemeal self-raising flour to white to increase the fibre content.
- 9NOTE: In step 6, the recipe specified 12 1/2 inch muffin cups but then said that the recipe made 15 muffins, so you may find that there is enough mixture for 15 not 12 muffins. I've specified 12 for the sake of consistency. Please clarify this point if you make and review this recipe before I make it. Once I know, I'll get the yield corrected if the mixture is indeed sufficient for 15 muffins.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea and Apricot Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.8
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 50.5 mg
- Sodium 503.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g