Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I was going through some old church cookbooks and found this one. Mama Mia it's Italian! It was even written by an Italian homemaker.
- 4 -5 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split
- 1⁄2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs, and
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, mixed in a bowl
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 -8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil or 3 -5 leaves fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dip the chicken in egg, then in the mixture of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Fry in the oil until tender and brown on all sides.
- In an overlapping fashion lay your finished chicken pieces in a baking dish.
- Cover with 1/2 the sauce.
- Cover the eintire surface of the dish with cheese slices.
- Top with the remaining sauce.
- Top the sauce with any leftover crumb-parmesan mixture.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hr.
- at 325*.
- **To make the Sauce: Saute onions and garlic in oil.
- Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, breaking them into small pieces.
- Add 1 tsp.
- salt and a dash of pepper.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 20 min.
- Add the tomato sauce and spices bring to a boil and simmer another 20 min.
- If you want you can make the sauce the day before.
- Or when you make sauce make extra and freeze some for when you would like to make this next.
This recipe is almost identical to my chicken parmesan recipe with exception to baking it similar to a casserole. It was good though the sauce had a very powerful flavor, too much garlic I think. Also I wasn’t sure if the1½ hours baking time was a typo in the recipe or what was actually needed but I DID NOT bake it for that long. I fully cooked the chicken breast in the skillet and only baked them for ½ hour until the cheese had melted and the crumb topping had turned golden brown. It was wonderful, though I’ll cut back on the garlic next time.