Recipe by KitchenManiac
This is a real Cantonese comfort food. The chestnut gives it a very nice sweet flavour to the dish. It is worth the little bit of prep effort.
Top Review by mianbao
Wonderful authentic Chinese comfort food, just like the chicken with chestnuts we enjoyed in a small restaurant in Shanghai. I was very pleased to see this recipe here. I did take a shortcut by using ready-roasted Chinese chestnuts. So it was easy as well as very good. I also used an approximately 1 by 3/4-inch piece of fresh ginger instead of young ginger. Other than the above, I followed the recipe strictly. Thank you for posting this Kitchen Maniac.
- 1 whole chicken, chopped to bite size
- 1 lb raw chestnuts, shelled but leaving the skin on
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 10 slices young ginger, thin
- 1⁄4 cup dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (HOT)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub 2 teaspoon of the dark soya sauce all over the chicken, and leave it to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Boil 11 cups of water in a pot, and add the chestnuts and boil for 10 minutes to loosen the skin.
- Drain and rinse in tap water.
- This makes the skin easier to remove.
- Ease off chestnut skins with the tip of a knife.
- Heat oil in a wok till smoking, stif fry the garlic and ginger, till aromatic.
- About 1/2 minute.
- Add chicken and stir fry for 7 minutes or till the chicken changes to white in colour.
- Add remaining soya sauce, oyster sauce and sugar.
- Stir fry for a while before adding the HOT water.
- Stir well (to ensure it is well mixed) and bring to boil.
- Add the peeled chestnuts, and stew covered on MEDIUM HEAT for about 45 minutes.
- Till the gravy is thick and the chicken is tender.
- NOTE 1: Do stir this dish several times, to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Chicken is ready to be served.
- NOTE 2: If you have difficulty finding raw chestnut, you can substitute it with 10 Chinese mushroom, soaked in water to soften first.
- NOTE 3: After the chestnuts have been added, and you have stired for 10 minutes to ensure the chicken is well coated, you can put this dish into your crock pot, and leave it on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- The meal is ready for you to eat with rice when you return home from work.