Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 cups chicken, cooked or 4 cups turkey, cubed
- 6 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package Accent seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 Combine zucchini and onion in a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil for 5 minutes; drain and cool.
- Combine carrots, soup, sour cream, and garlic powder in a large bowl; stir until smooth.
- Add zucchini, onion, and chicken; mix.
- Spread chicken mixture in a greased 9 X 13 inch casserole. Melt the butter in a skillet, add Accent seasoning and toss well to coat with butter.
- Sprinkle cheese over chicken mixture and bake for 1 hour.
- Casserole should be golden brown and hot!
This recipe is an unexpected pleasure -- I had my doubts at first, but it came out great! I used half zucchini and half yellow squash. I took the advice of another reviewer and mixed the cheese in with the rest of the ingredients. Didn't need any of the top. I sauteed the onion and garlic and after a couple of minutes, added 1/3 cup of good-quality dry sherry to the pan. I also added 1/2 T. curry powder. Those two extra ingredients, I think, put this dish over the top. BTW, I didn't pre-cook the zucchini, and that was a mistake. It had to cook it a lot longer because of it. Well worth the wait, though!
Absolutely fantastic! This would be great with any veggie..sundried tomatoes, broccoli..artichokes...it was a fantastic casserole! Thank you so much for sharing! XO LA :-)
I liked the flavor of this and that the inclusion of the chicken helped me stretch my zucchini bounty into a full one dish meal. I also skipped the Accent and stirred salt into the dish. I decreased butter to 1-2 Tbsp and stirred it into the casserole before topping with just cheese. I thought this was missing a crunchy component, though. I pulled out a box of Ritz for my husband and I to eat with it tonight, but he said that when I try this again I should top it with french fried onions. Either way, I plan to bake it with some kind of crust ingredient next time (crackers, french fried onions, or bread crumbs). Thanks for the recipe!